Carmichael Library typically employs 30 to 35 student workers each year. General descriptions of the types of student worker positions are listed below. We hire both WorkStudy and JobShip students to fill positions. If you are a student interested in working in the Library, please go to the University of Montevallo Employment page and select Student Positions to search for current openings.
- Public Services student workers assist patrons at the circulation desk, welcome desk, or reference desk. Duties include checking materials in or out; assisting with computer, printer, or copier questions; completing circulation tasks such as shelving, shelfreading, and handling payments for fines and copies; helping patrons locate materials in the library; and helping library staff with additional projects or library events. The ability to work late shifts (until 1 a.m.) and/or weekend shifts is a plus.
- Technical Services student workers assist with the processing of books, serials, and multimedia resources; help maintain the unbound periodicals section; help create lists of donated items; and assist library staff in preparing orders and in removing discarded items.
- Digital Media Lab student workers assist students and faculty with Adobe Creative Cloud products, audio and video editing software, and hardware in the DML; assist with scanning projects and 3D projects; help create library related digital and printed materials; and help set up mobile devices for instruction or library events.
- Interlibrary Loan student workers help process and expedite document delivery requests from Interlibrary Loan and Scan & Deliver, and may also assist with scanning archival materials
- Archives student workers help process archival materials; may assist with archives digitization projects; and assist patrons of the University's Milner Archives and Special Collections.
If you have general questions about working in the Library, please contact Beta Pinkley, Library Administrative Assistant, at email@example.com.