How do you know whether a web site is reliable? What questions should you ask?
The librarians at California State University - Chico have come up with a handy CRAAP test:
- When was the information published?
- Does your topic require current sources?
- Who is the intended audience?
- How does the information relate to your research question?
- Who is the author and what are their credentials?
- Are they qualified to write about the topic?
- Is the source peer-reviewed or refereed?
- Are the author’s conclusions supported by evidence?
- Is the information correct? Can you verify the information elsewhere?
- Does the source appear objective or is it biased?
- Do the authors make their purpose and motivations clear?
- Do the authors acknowledge potential conflicts of interest?
Need more guidance? Here is an excellent, detailed guide from UC Berkeley Libraries: