Carmichael Library offers numerous computers and other technology for use by University of Montevallo students, faculty and staff. A Digital Media Lab and a classroom for information literacy instruction are also housed in the building.
Carmichael Library has networked computer terminals and other equipment throughout the building for students, faculty and instructor-led groups, including:
- 40 computers in public spaces on 3 floors (including 6 Macs)
- 25 computers in the EBSCO classroom for information literacy instruction sessions
- 2 computers available for use by the general public
- 1 HDMI-capable television in the Group Study Room
- 1 Microfilm/microfiche reader/scanner
- 1 Clear View magnification workstation
Printers are located on the main and ground floors, and wireless access is available throughout the building.
Available software includes:
- Microsoft Office
- Google Chrome
- Mozilla Firefox
- Adobe Acrobat Reader
- Adobe AIR, Flash Player, Shockwave Player
- Adobe Creative Cloud (Macs only)
- 123D Design & Make (Macs only)
- iMovie and iTunes (Macs only)
- Maple 18 (select computers)
- MS Silverlight
- Peachtree Accounting
- PCTeX version 5.0
- Zoomtext (1 computer)
The Solution Center, which offers technology support to students, faculty and staff, is located on the Ground Floor of the Library. Contact SolutionCenter@montevallo.edu or 205-665-6512.
Digital Media Lab
Carmichael Library houses a cutting-edge Digital Media Lab on the first floor. The DML provides assistance to UM students, faculty, and staff in the use of digital media equipment, and includes the following hardware and software:
Mac Computer Lab with 17 workstations, featuring:
- Adobe Creative Cloud
- MS Office for Apple
- Image Capture
- Camtasia software & webcam
- V Carve software
- Rhino 3D CAD
- 6 Epson V600 scanners
- 8 Bamboo Drawing Tablets(4 hour checkout)
- Surface Studio
- 3D Print Lab
A Sound Lab with equipment to produce, record and edit audio/video commentary
Mike Price, DML Coordinator, is available for consultation and faculty support at email@example.com or 205-665-6105.
Equipment available for checkout
The library has the following equipment available for checkout at the Circulation Desk:
- Laptops and tablets (1 week checkout)
- iPads (1 week checkout)
- Wifi Hotspots (1 week checkout)
- Wacom tablets (1 week checkout)
- Headphones (4 hour checkout)
- Video cameras (1 week checkout); tripods also available
- DAR Voice Recorder (1 week checkout)
Printing/Photocopying in the Library
Carmichael Library has three printer/copiers to print in black & white or color. They also offer a scan-to-email feature.
UM Students must be logged in to the computers to print.
- Each currently enrolled student receives an allowance of $15 (300 pages of b/w printing) from the University for each semester
- Printing cost is 10¢/page (b/w) and 25¢/page (color)
- Unused funds will roll over from the fall to the spring semester
- Students may add money to their printing accounts at the Circulation Desk or via credit card payment by logging into their papercut accounts and clicking the "add credit" link from the left menu
- Copying is available for the same cost as printing.
- The scan-to-email feature on the copiers is free
Non-UM patrons may also use the Library’s printers and copiers. Please visit the Circulation Desk for more information.