- Download and install Zotero: www.zotero.com
- The computer will ask you: Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device? Answer NO (it will install anyway).
- Also download and install the Zotero connector for Chrome
- Create an account (at zotero.com > login > register) if you wish to sync or share files
Zotero should launch automatically when you install it. If it doesn’t, open it from the desktop.
- Tip: Go under Edit > Preferences and uncheck “Automatically tag items with keywords”
- Add references
- Zotero works with databases of all sorts.
Go to PubMed (pubmed.gov) in Chrome
Sample search: stroke dysphagia and electrical stimulation
- Click on the Zotero icon to add the page to your resources
- Note the differences in folders vs. individual items (Zotero icon changes)
Go to Google (google.com) in Chrome
Sample search: stroke dysphagia
- Note the differences between articles vs. webpages vs. videos (icon changes)
- Add information to your references within Zotero
- When you go into Zotero and click on a citation, you get the full info to the right
Click the drop-down arrow to see if full text is available
- Add a reference manually
- Dysphagia following stroke, by Stephanie K. Daniels (San Diego: Plural, 2014)
- Wand icon + DOI or ISBN adds it manually: Try 9781597565448
- You can also attach a file to a reference (note: the free version has a size limit)
- Create folders (collections) to organize information
- My Library is the master list.
- Create a folder, then select and move references over from My Library.
- Cite your sources automatically in Word
- Look for the Zotero tab in Microsoft Word
- When you need to insert a citation, click that tab!
- Click Add/Edit Citation > Classic View … and select the citation to insert
- This works in Google Docs too!
- Generate a bibliography
- In Microsoft Word, select the Zotero tab and click Add/Edit Bibliography
- In Zotero, select references, right click, and select Create Bibliography from Items
- Collaborate and sync files
- To create a group or sync files, you need to create a Zotero account and log in
- In Zotero, sync collections using the green arrow in the top right corner
- The first time you do this, you’ll be asked to open sync preferences and sign in.
- At Zotero.org, create a group if you wish:
- Groups > [Name it] > Create Group
- To invite members, look under “Member Settings”