Skip to Main Content


Sign Up for a UM Library Account

If you are from a NAAL or other reciprocal access institution, you will need sign up for a library account. Be sure to bring your university ID and driver's license (or other form of identification). You can also download and complete the first portion of the New Patron Application (up to and including the Disclaimer and Signature section) in advance. However, the application will also be available at the circulation desk.

Other Libraries


UM participates in NAAL's Library Access Program which allows currently enrolled students and currently employed faculty and staff to access the library buildings and services of other participating academic institutions. This agreement provides access to the library buildings and collections (including on-campus access to databases). Certain services, like Interlibrary loan, must be placed at the home institution. Participants must follow the circulation policies of the participating institution(s).


Participating Institutions


Other Options


Other Academic Libraries

In addition, we have reciprocal library access to two community colleges ( Jefferson State and Lawson State) as well as the University of Alabama (UA library website and reciprocal borrowing details).


Public Libraries

Persons with a valid Shelby County address may obtain a library card at their city's library. Shelby County card holders have access to the collections of all 14 libraries in the Shelby County system.



Worldcat Local also allows our patrons to search for titles available in libraries across the United States and request them via Interlibrary Loan. Use the search box below to search for items via Worldcat Local.